Layout Corner
Layout Corner
Home | Site Map | Links | Contact | Print Page | News | Events | Council Projects
23 April 2014
Layout Corner
Layout Corner
Layout Corner Layout Corner
Homepage
Council
Corporate Documents
History
Departments
Mayor's Office
Councillors
Councillors' Websites
Committee Structure
Recruitment
Minutes
Births, Deaths, Marriages and Civil Partnerships
Services
Person Profile
Review of Public Administration
Emergency Planning
Residential
Grant Aid
Grant Finder
Community Life
Good Relations
Community Safety
Wedding Facilities
Recycling
Neighbourhood Renewal
Energy
Tourism
Visit our Tourism Website
Visit our ECOS Website
Seven Towers Leisure Centre
Sports Development
Ballymena Showgrounds
Photo Galleries
Ballymena In Focus Magazine
Genealogy
Mid-Antrim Museum
Business
Area Profile
Services
Town Centre
CCTV
Online Services
Venue Brochure
 

Ballymena Historic Timeline

7000-3500 BC The Mesolithic period is not apparently represented in the sites around Ballymena. Settlements of this period do not leave surface traces.
4000-600 BC Like the Mesolithic period, houses of the Neolithic and Bronze Age were still mainly of wood or wicker. Archaeological finds include a range of metal objects including bronze axes, palstaves, bronze heads and a gold dress fastener. A Standing Stone in Town Parks was apparently destroyed during he building of the towns workhouse.
450-1150AD The first recorded Irish history of the Ballymena area dates to the Early Christian period of the 5th and 7th centuries. Raths found in Ballykeel and a site called Camphill Fort in Ballee may also have been of this type. There are a number of souterrain sites within a 2km radius of the centre of Ballymena. Two miles north of Ballymena in the Townland of Kirkinriola the ancient parish church and graveyard possess several indicators of Early Christian settlement including a souterrain. Also in 1868, a gravedigger found a large stone slab on which was carved a cross with the inscription oa do degen. This refers to Bishop Degen who lived in Ireland during the 7th century.
480AD A church was founded in Connor, 5 miles south of Ballymena. Followed by a monastery at Templemoyle, Kells.
831AD The Vikings invaded the Ballymena area, burning the Church at Connor.
900-1100 AD The Petty Kingdom of the DalnAraide (Mid Antrim) was conquered by the Ui Tuirtre led by the OFlynns
1177AD In 1177AD and 1178 AD the OFlynns defeated and repelled the Earl of Ulster, John de Courcey.
1315AD Edward Bruce (brother of Robert Bruce, King of Scotland) invaded Ireland. On 10th September 1315, at the Battle of Tawnybrack (5 miles south of Ballymena at Kells) he fought against and conquered the army of Richard De Burgo, the Anglo-Norman Earl of Ulster.
1300s AD The ONeills of Clann Aodh buidhe (Clandeboy) crossed the River Bann from Tyrone and conquered the Ui Tuirtre in mid Antrim.
1368AD The last person to claim to be king of the Ui Tuirtre was killed. The OFlynns fled into the Ard, along with the Anglo-Normans of south Antrim.
mid 1400s AD South and mid Antrim was known as Lower or northern Clandeboye.
1576AD Queen Elizabeth I granted land, including the town of Ballymena, to Sir Thomas Smith. The lands had been forfeited to the crown after Shane ONeills rebellion in the 1560s. Smith brought English settlers to the area.
1581AD Smiths English settlement failed. The Lands were reverted to the crown.
1605AD An inquisition of 1605 divided the territory of northern Clandeboye; Ballymena lay in the division known of Clanagherty (Clanagherty consisted of the parish of Kirkinriola and the small part of the original parish of Ahoghill.
1607AD On 10 May 1607AD King James I granted the native Irish chief, Rory Og MacQuillan the Ballymena Estate. The estate passed through several owners, eventually passing into the possession of William Adair, a Scottish laird from Kinhilt in South-Western Scotland. The estate was temporarily re-named Kinhilstown after the Adairs lands in Scotland.
1600s AD The original castle of Ballymena was build in the early 17th century, situated to take advantage of an ancient ford over the River Braid, at the south-west end of Castle Street.
1626AD King Charles I confirmed the grant of the Ballymena Estate to William Adair, giving him the right to hold a market at Ballymena on every Saturday.
1641AD The local Ballymena garrison fought against the rebels but had to retreat to Carrickfergus, leaving the rebels to drive out refugees at Clough.
1669AD The hearth rolls indicate 106 houses at Ballymenoch
1684AD Ballymenas first market house (on the site of the present town hall) was built.
1690AD The Duke of Wurtemburg, a Williamite General uses Galgorm Castle as his headquarters. Sir Robert Adair raises a Regiment of Foot for William III and fights at the Battle of the Boyne
1704AD Population of Ballymena reached 800
1707AD Kirkinriolas first Protestant (Church of Ireland) parish church was built.
1740AD The original Ballymena Castle was burnt down
1765AD The founding of Gracehill Moravian settlement
1783AD Ballymena is one of nine leading markets for the sale of brown linen in Ulster with sales of 100,000 in this year
1798AD During the 1798 rebellion, Ballymena was occupied from 7th to 9th June by a force of around 10,000 United Irishmen, who stormed the Market House (now the Town Hall) killing three of its defenders.
1827AD Consecration of the first Roman Catholic Church in Ballymena.
1831AD Fairhill market was built by William Adair.
1834AD The population of Ballymena grows to 4,063.
1843AD Ballymena Workhouse was opened for reception of paupers on 17 November 1843.
1845AD The Potato Famine starts to affect Ballymena.
1848AD Belfast and Ballymena Railway established.
1854AD A Board of Town Commissioners was set up to administer the growing town.
1865AD Robert Alexander Shafto Adair erected Ballymena Castle, a magnificent family residence, in the Demesne. The Castle is not completed until 1887. A consortium of local businessmen established the Braidwater Spinning Company.
1883AD The first Ballymena Agricultural Show was held in the Fairhill.
Late 1800s AD Sir Alexander Shafto Adair (who later became Lord Waveney) noted the Seven Towers old Parish Church, St. Patricks Church of Ireland, First Ballymena Presbyterian Church, All Saints Roman Catholic Church, Old Town Hall, Braidwater Spinning Mill and Ballymena Castle. Unfortunately only three towers now remain; Old Parish Church, St Patricks Church of Ireland and All Saints Roman Catholic Church.
1900AD Ballymena assumed urban status.
1904AD The Adairs disposed of most of their Ballymena estate to the occupying tenants, under the provisions of the Irish Land Act of 1903.
1915AD Waveney Hospital completed.
1919AD The old town hall building, which also contained the post office and estate office, burned down.
1924AD The Duke of York laid The Foundation Stone to the new town hall on 24 July 1924.
1928AD The new town hall was officially opened on 20th November 1928.
1937AD The Urban District Council petitioned for Borough status and the Charter was granted in December 1937.
1939AD The first meeting of Councillors, as a Borough Council was held on 23rd May 1939. The population of Ballymena reaches 13,000
1948AD Closure of Ballymena Workhouse.
1953AD The Borough of Ballymena was granted armorial bearings, based on the Seven Towers.
1950s Ballymena Castle was demolished.
1973AD The Urban and Rural District Councils were merged to create the present Borough Council.
1989AD Closure of the Fairhill Market.
1994AD Closure of the Waveney Hospital.
1998AD Closure of the Braidwater Mill.
2008AD Opening of The Braid, Ballymena’s new Town Hall, Museum and Arts Centre
1177-1205AD The Anglo-Normans led by John De Courcy conquered much of Antrim and Down and created the core of the Anglo-Norman Earldom of Ireland. During this campaign they built great mounds of earth topped by wooden towers, referred to as Mottes, as defensive structures. Harryville Motte and Bailey is one of the best examples in Northern Ireland of this type of fortification. Some sources, however, credit the O’Flynns with building the Mid-Antrim mottes and baileys in imitation of the invaders. In 1177AD and 1178AD the O’Flynns temporarily defeated and repelled the Earl of Ulster, John de Courcey.
 

Council Members Area

Job Vacancies

Tenders

Online Services

Emergency Planning

Dog Licensing

Wheelie Bins

Weather Forecast

Animal Welfare

The Braid Website

Welcome Pack for Ballymena

Review of Public Administration

Layout Corner
Layout Corner
  Ballymena Borough Council © 2006 | T: 0844 544 7640 or 02825 660300 | E: council.reception@ballymena.gov.uk
Site by Web Solutions NI  Web Solutions NI
 
Layout Corner PLEASE NOTE - Ballymena Borough Council is not responsible for the content or the management of the content of any external / 3rd Party web sites linked to the Ballymena Borough Council web site
Layout Corner