Old Parish Church, Church Street, Ballymena
Consecrated in 1721. Used as a military barracks during the 1798 Rebellion, only the bare walls were left standing on their departure. When peace returned, the church was partially repaired and a small tower and gallery were added in 1821. Now only the tower remains. Many graves here are of historical and genealogical interest.
St Patrick’s, Castle Street, Ballymena
Built to replace the Old Parish Church, this building was consecrated in 1855. Rev Dr William Reeves, distinguished Irish historian and bishop, served as a curate here and organised the erection of the new building. Parishioners are summoned here by the ring of 12 bells from the tower.
All Saint’s Church, Broughshane Street, Ballymena
Dedicated in 1860, in the time of Rev John Lynch, the original building was rather plain. Very Rev Alexander MacMullan, a distinguished Biblical scholar, historian and celebrated preacher, remedied this deficiency. During his time (1889-1909), the tower and bell, stained glass windows, a marble high altar and enclosing walls and railings were erected.
1st Ballymena, Meetinghouse Lane, Ballymena
This Congregation dates back to the ministry of Rev George Dunbar in 1624. He was succeeded by many celebrated preachers, most of whom are buried in the Dissenter’s Plot in the Old Churchyard in Church Street. The original building was rather small and plain but it was enlarged and renovated in 1854. Many other changes have been made to the structure over the years. At one time it had a tower, but this was later removed because of its unsafe condition.
West Church, Ballymoney Road, Ballymena
Due to the influx of members to Wellington Street Church during the 1859 Revival, it became necessary to build another church. This was carried out on the Ballymoney Road site in 1863. Designed by Lanyon, Lynn and Lanyon, the building was constructed of black basalt in Decorated Gothic style. In 1926, the church was gutted by fire and, after restoration, it was re-opened for worship in late 1928.
Gracehill Moravian Church
Known as ‘Unitas Fratum’, the Moravian Church began life in Moravia and Bohemia in 1457. Gracehill Moravian Settlement came into being when Br Anton Seiffert consecrated the foundation stone of the church on 12 March 1765. The church has a square clock turret, a central pulpit and interesting stained glass windows.